After an outing, you decide to catch a cab. You get home only to discover that you lost something really important in your taxi. Most people, won’t bother to go back and try to find the item, assuming that it has been lost forever. Don’t throw in the towel just yet. Here are some steps you can take to recover your lost property.
1) File a report with NYC Taxi Commission. This can be done over the phone by calling 311. If you live outside of New York dial 212-New-York. You can also do this online at http://www1.nyc.gov/311/. Make sure to have information, like the medallion number, on hand when you call.
2) Contact Police Precincts: Contact Police centers in each borough to see if your item was returned there. You can find a complete list of lost and found police centers on the nyc.gov site.
3) Post Online: Use yellowcabnyctaxi.com and post a lost property listing. For a small fee, you can post a public message. This posting makes it possible to connect with taxi passengers who may have grabbed your item after your ride in the same taxi. You can list your information so that someone can contact you directly, which may yield better results.
If these options don’t work, here are some last resorts you can employ to help find your property:
5. Newspaper listing: Find the newspaper public announcement section and list your lost & found notice. There’s a chance, albeit small, that someone may see your ad and return your property.
6. Taxi Garages: Call 311 and you can find where the taxi garage is located. You can then contact them directly to try and locate your property.
7. Social Media: Use social media functions like Twitter #hashtags to potentially locate lost items. Celebrities have used this to successfully track down items, so it is worth a try.
If you ever find yourself on the other end of lost property in a NYC taxi, refer to this handy guide to get your stuff back in no time!
YellowCabNYCTaxi.com Staff Writer